Vital Signs Survey

images (16)
Vital Signs is a national initiative being implemented by Community Foundation Grey Bruce. Vital Signs is an instrument for measuring community well-being. It’s a tool for a community check-up. The report summarizes the health and strength of a community. Community Foundation is asking the residents of Grey Bruce to complete an online survey. The information gathered from this survey will assist the foundation to determine the most important issues relating to the community’s well-being. The more surveys completed the more information that can be gathered to draw a picture of who we are as a group. Take the online survey.

Coats for Kids

images (4)

COATS 4 KIDS are collecting donations. Gently used winter coats, snow pants, boots, hats and mittens are being pulled together to donate to those in need this fall.  All donations will be provided to people living in this area. Drop off boxes for items can be found at grocery stores in Hanover and schools in Durham, Walkerton, Hanover, Ayton, Mildmay and Chepstow.  This spring, when you are cleaning out your closets please think about keeping local children warm next winter. All donation to “COATS 4 KIDS” are GREATLY appreciated.

For more information about this valuable program contact Marg Kerr 519-364-3768.

Help for the holidays

holidays blog
The Holidays are about giving and sharing. There are Holiday Food Baskets and Christmas Baskets available for residents of Grey and Bruce. Most agencies work on a first come first serve basis so it is best to sign up early. If you are fortunate enough that you don’t need help this holiday season you may want to think about helping out a family in need by making a donation. Here are some links to agencies in Grey and Bruce that offer resources to people who need support.
Assistance in Grey County
Christmas Hampers – Beaver Valley Outreach

Durham and District Food Bank

Golden Town Outreach – Meaford Food Bank
Christmas Assistance Program – Salvation Army – Hanover

Christmas Assistance Program – Salvation Army – Owen Sound

Assistance in Bruce County
Christmas Hamper Program – Kincardine Area Community Services

Lion’s Head and District Food Bank

Paisley and Community Food Bank

Christmas Assistance Program – Salvation Army – Port Elgin

Christmas Hamper Program – Salvation Army – Wiarton

Tara Area Food Bank

Tobermory Food Bank

Looking for a Doctor

doctor 2
Finding a family doctor is important because they supply general health care for non-emergency medical conditions for you and your family. A family physician will also provide a referral to specialists and order medical and laboratory tests when needed. To locate a family doctor in Bruce Grey you can register with Health Care Connect 1-800-445-1822 a government of Ontario Service developed to help people find a family doctor or you may try the Doctor Search Service from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario. Try asking friends or family members if their doctor is accepting new patients or contact one of the following Family Health Teams in your area to make an inquiry.
Brockton and Area Family Health Team
Bruce Peninsula Family Health Team at 519-793-6461
Owen Sound Family Health Team
Sauble Family Health Team
South East Grey Community Health Centre


help with sports costs
There are alternative sources of funding available to help your children register for community sports groups. For more information check out the following links:
Canadian Tire Jump Start -community based charitable program that helps kids in financial need participate in organized sport and recreational activities Call 1-877-616-6600 to apply
JUST4KICS – intended for children between the ages of 5 – 18 who reside in Canada.
Kidsport – helps kids to participate in organized sport, funding of up to $300/year/child for sport registration and/or equipment
Minor Hockey Foundation Ontario– one-time financial subsidy to each participant towards minor hockey registration fees for a hockey season children aged 7 – 11 years old
National Child Benefit Subsidy -offer subsidies for children’s registration fees for recreational activities for families residing in Grey Bruce County and earning less than $40,000
NHLPA – Goals & Dreams – providing equipment to programs and organizations that help children and families get involved with hockey

Adult English as a Second Language Groups

esl 2
Would you like to improve your English conversation skills?
Joining an English as a Second Language group is a fantastic way to improve your English skills. Connecting with an ESL group is also a wonderful way to meet people living in your community that are newcomers to Canada. Here is a list of some of the FREE English as Second Language groups meeting in Bruce and Grey.

Bruce County English 101 Port Elgin and Kincardine call Steve at 519-389-2302 to register
Hanover ESL Cafe contact 519-364-1420 or visit Hanover library for more information
Owen Sound ESL Group contact the Adult Learning Centre 519-346-6623 ext. 3 to register

Help With Housing Costs

housing benefit

There is help available for people living in Grey and Bruce County that are having some difficulty paying their housing expenses. These funds are available through the Sustainable Housing Benefit in Grey County or Housing Stability Fund in Bruce County. These benefits are meant to help people living in the area to secure reasonable priced, stable housing. Funds are available through these programs, for residents who are homeless or in danger of becoming homeless. You may be eligible to receive assistance with these costs if you are a Canadian Citizen or Landed Immigrant, if you reside in Grey or Bruce and if you have not received the benefit in the past 24 months. To find out more about the programs offered in your community and the conditions of eligibility, or to access the application forms follow the links entered above.